Saturday, July 21, 2018

The LAST blog post of the semester!!!


         I was only in eighth grade when my first sibling got married.  I only had one sister growing up so I was more than thrilled to be gaining another one when they got married!  Since then two of my other siblings have gotten married and I have been blessed with some pretty amazing sisters in law and an awesome brother in law.  Since I’m not married myself, I don’t have a lot of experience with in laws other than my siblings’ spouses.  I have heard many horror stories about in laws though.  My sisters in law and my brother in law have just become more siblings to love.  I really liked the quote from chapter 37 of Helping and healing our families: Principles and practices inspired by "The Family: A Proclamation to the World".  It said, “…it means a great deal for an in-law to be referred to by siblings simply as “my brother” or “my sister” rather than always being labeled as in-laws.” (2005, pg 331) Three days after I graduated from high school, I had the great blessing to be able to move in with my sister in law and nephew while my brother had to be away doing an internship.  While it was a hard situation for my brother and his wife, I feel so lucky that I was able to develop such a strong relationship with my sister in law.  She still calls me regularly just to talk and make sure that I’m doing okay.  

      When my second brother got married, things were a little different.  His wife is equally as awesome as my other brother’s wife, I was just a bratty teenager.  I fell into the trap of comparing my two sisters in law and I ended up making things a little rough for a while.  Luckily, I grew up and have since developed a great relationship with both of my brothers’ wives.  Another quote I really liked from Helping and healing our families: Principles and practices inspired by "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" said, “siblings can do much to help new in-laws feel included.  Writing letters, making phone calls that include both sibling and new spouse, and doing activities with the new spouse to increase feelings of belonging.” (2005, pg 332) I’m so grateful for my family, both those who were born into it as well as those who have come into it through marriage.  What a blessing it is to be able to be with them forever because of the temple and the ordinances that are performed there. 


Image result for lds family quotes eternal

No comments:

Post a Comment